Saturday, July 20, 2013

What Goes Around Comes Around

I received an interesting piece of mail earlier this week. It wasn't what I was expecting, however.

For those of you who read the Night Owl's blog, you have probably already heard the story of Cross Country Tommy. If you didn't read Owl's account, then let me explain.






A few months ago I sent Greg a couple of 1955 Golden Press Dodger stamps- Duke Snider and Don Zimmer to be precise- that I had picked up at the winter card show. In return, he sent me a PWE that contained a few 2013 Opening Day Braves, as well as a couple of early Jason Heyward cards and a 1960 Topps Carl Willey. I was certainly grateful for the kindness shown by Greg, although I didn't exactly show it. You see, I forgot to publish a trade post.






















So a few months pass, and I picked up another '55 Golden Press stamp at the June card show, this one of Tommy Lasorda. And, once again, my forgetfulness raises its all-too-familiar head: I forgot to ship it to Greg.

Finding it on my desk under some cards to be filed, I sent it to the Owl earlier last week. A few days after sending the PWE through the USPS, I received what Greg so aptly called a 'postal body bag' in the mail.





Oh, #@*#!

Could it be Karma at work? After all, I had gone months without so much as a thanks for the cards he sent me. It had been a month since I had bought Travelin' Tommy- and there he had sat, collecting dust for a month. A song (What Goes Around Comes Around- better known as the theme song from My Name Is Earl) begins playing in my head- its cruel, laughing-like sounds mocking my forgetfulness.


I don't know what compelled me to send Greg a tweet with an attached photo of half an envelope, but I did. It must have seemed like cruel and unusual punishment, but it was a story that I felt needed to be told.

 The next day, I receive a tweet from the Night Owl himself, informing me that he, too, had received a package. Yep, he had also received a 'postal body bag' with the other half of my envelope and the top loader which contained both cards.

My faith in the USPS had been restored.



1 comment: