Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cheap Trick for the Collector

No, it's not a Rick Nielsen or Robin Zander autograph, but a solution for the budget blues. 

I recently began the process of reorganizing my collection. What was once a low-maintenance project has become more complicated as I moved away from being an exclusive Topps/Bowman team set collector to one who is adding the other manufacturers to the fold. My storage was simple: five binders with Braves Topps cards (by year, of course) and two binders for player collections. Everything else that would come my way would just get placed in a couple of 550 count boxes, with no method to the madness.  And anyone who knows me will tell you that I hate disorganization. Something had to be done for the new additions.



One thing that has held me back from doing something about this growing problem has been finances. I would rather spend my 'allowance' on cards- not supplies; and I'm sure you're well aware of the costs of Ultra-Pro pages and binders. They don't come cheap! A solution I found for these budgetary blues is to take advantage of the Register Rewards offered by Walgreens. Twice in the last three weeks, the pharmacy giant has offered $5 Register Rewards with the purchase of a 42ct. box of Prilosec. The offer also coincided with a buy 1 get 1 free on Wexford Binders. Now, their binders are normally about $9 for a 2" D-Ring binder- which is way more than I'm willing to pay. But, with two $5 Register Rewards, I've been able to get 4 binders for about $8 and change. Not too shabby! I figured since I take Prilosec on a daily basis, I might as well take advantage of the offer. 

So now I can begin the process of consolidating the various manufacturers into binders for each season- beginning with 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994. Everything else will, for the time being, remain in its present place of storage. Hopefully Target will have a similar binder sale soon that will coincide with one of their gift card offers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment