Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Why Bother with the Relics?

After recently purchasing two relics from the 2013 Allen & Ginter set, I asked myself the question, "why even bother with the things?" Let's face it, they have become the 'selfie' of the collecting world- just another subject crying out, 'look at me!'















The thing is, when it comes to the Allen & Ginter relics, it's not about some little swatch. Same goes for the other countless sets which include similar pieces (unless, of course, you get one of those uber-cool patches or an extremely rare piece from an old-timer). The focal point of the card, at least for me, is the player who's portrayed on the front.That, and the design of the card-which certainly contributes to the overall "wow-factor."



3 comments:

  1. I still have a spot in my heart for relics, but I don't value them as I once did. I see relics in a hobby shop at BV and laugh everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back! Yes, the same goes for just about everything (not just relics). I go to card shows & just shake my head at times that people still ask some of the prices they do.

      Delete
    2. Well said Joe Average Card Collector. Well said.

      Delete