Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cards From The Big Rock Candy Mountain Pt. 1

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains/all the cops have wooden legs/and the bulldogs all have rubber teeth/and the hens lay soft-boiled eggs. The farmers' trees are full of fruit/and the barns are full of hay/oh, I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow. Where the rain don't fall/the winds don't blow, in the Big Rock Candy Mountain.~ Harry McClintock

Like many collectors, a majority of my purchases come from two sources: eBay and Check Out My Collectibles (formerly Cards). Each has its own advantages, but I find myself being drawn more and more to COMC for singles and reserving team set purchases for eBay. The reason is simple: shipping costs. Gone are the days of being able to get something shipped from an eBay purchase for less than $2. While there are sellers who offer shipping costs for under that amount, they seem to be fewer and farther between; $2.00 - $3.00 seems to be the new norm. And with two areas of our budget taking a hit this past week (a change in income and insurance costs jumping significantly), it looks like I will be having to use COMC even more.

Yesterday's mail included a shipment from the Big Rock Candy Mountain (COMC). For those of you not aware of the Harry McClintock song from the late nineteenth/early part of the twentieth century (the date is debated), it's a ditty about a hobo's paradise. Anyway, my latest purchase helps towards completing some of my 2012 and 2013 team sets.

2013 Finest #93F-JU
 I had been watching one of these on eBay, and I'm glad I was patient and waited to check out the other site because it saved me about four bucks. Another plus, Topps didn't use the overused photo that appears on the back of the card as the front photo.




The first of two Bethancourt's in my recent purchase. The Braves top position prospect turned things around during the second half of the 2013 season after a slow start...




Kris Medlen was another player who turned things around in the second half of the season, pitching especially well down the stretch. Was horrible in the one playoff game he pitched in versus the Dodgers.


B-Mac. He gone.


I always thought Heyward would be a) a player like Francoeur- the hometown hero who would eventually force the team to trade him due to poor & inconsistent play, or b) would live up to the hype and remain a Brave for life. He's due to be a free agent following the 2016 season and now is the time for Atlanta to try to lock him into a long-term deal, as his arbitration numbers will climb every year before he hits the open market.


....I know they say that you can't put too much stock into winter ball stats, but for all his improvement this past season, it still troubles me to see Bethancourt's winter stats for Licey of the Dominican League: .143/.196/.167 after 13 games (42 at-bats), 1 RBI, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts.



A few from 2012 Topps Finest:






And a great insert from the 90s:

1996 Leaf Studio Masterstrokes #8 (#0488/5000) Greg Maddux





No comments:

Post a Comment