Monday, February 24, 2014

My New Source

Until recently, I had never purchased anything from Sportlots; in fact, I had not even heard about the online source for cards until reading about it from some of our collecting/blogging brethren. And so about a week ago I opened up an account, got to looking through the nice inventory available and jumped in with a few purchases.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, Sportlots is much like COMC. While most of the listings I looked through had a much lower buy price than COMC, the one setback is that you will pay for shipping from each seller you purchase from- so it's in the collector's best interest to buy large lots from as few sellers as possible. 

Like eBay, the site maintains a system based on feedback, providing a safety net for both buyers and sellers. One thing they have that eBay doesn't is a thing called 'Buyer Issues,' where they report buyers who have an unusually high number of issues reported relative to the number of transactions they've been involved in. For the seller, this is a good thing. Another positive for the site, which eBay doesn't have, is in their auction department. They have eliminated the possibility of 'sniping' by having no predetermined end of auction times. Instead, they use what they call their 1-2-3-SOLD format. If an auction goes three days without any bidding, then it ends with the highest bidding winning. If during any of that time (before the end of the third day) a bid is placed, then it goes back to 1. This insures that any interested party has a legitimate opportunity to win a bid.

The goal of my initial purchase was to pick up Braves cards from the '96 Topps Laser, '94 SP, and '96 Topps Gallery sets. I was able to find the ones I need, and after comparing the costs of what I would pay on COMC, I decided to do the Sportlots route. Even with having to pay shipping to four different sellers, I still came out ahead.

Here's a just a few of my haul...

1994 Fun Pack #233 "Fun Cards"

SMOLTZIE... HOW FUN!!!

I never knew this kind of card existed. It's a heat activated card; rub your finger on the front and it reveals an illustration. It reminds me of those shirts that were popular in the early 90s. Remember those?

1997 Pinnacle Sample Ryan Klesko (#127)


One seller threw in an 'added bonus' to my purchase- this 1997 Pinnacle Sample card of Ryan Klesko. How did he know I've found an interest in preview cards? Unfortunately, this card is the exact same as Ryan's regular issue. Oh well, it was free.


1992 Bowman #180, 443 Steve Avery, Vince Moore


One of these days, I will finish this team set. Not the purdyest of designs, but one which I consider a 'classic'- right up there with the others of its era: '89 UD, '90 Leaf, '91 TSC.


1996 Topps Laser #62, 64 John Smoltz, Mark Wohlers

I loved this set and have never understood why it lasted all of one year. Then again, I usually like what others do not. Anyway, I'd like to see Topps issue another Laser set; perhaps on a smaller scale, such as part of a 90s retro set- much like the Fleer Retro football set of 2013.





 

2 comments:

  1. I love Sportlots. I have compared that site with Just Commons and find, even with shipping, you can get cards cheaper there. It takes some work to get your shipping just right, but my first transactions went smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't purchased anything on Just Commons; I looked at it briefly- but they seem to have a much smaller selection.

      Delete