Sunday, June 15, 2014

Feels Like the First Time

I've got to admit that there's a small part of me that's jealous of those collectors who enjoy the hobby with their children. As I was checking my twitter account this morning, I saw many re-tweets of collectors enjoying breaking packs or playing Bunt with their kids- and it reminded me of when my boys were younger. Neither were (nor are) big sport fans, but they did collect for a couple of their earlier years. The only interest my daughter has shown was in the dog insert in the Allen & Ginter set a couple of years ago. I never pursued it with her, and I regret that.



When asked for some Father's Day gift ideas, my list was pretty simple: jumbo pack of Series 2, Heritage and Archives. I don't need a tie, socks or under ware- so the choice was pretty natural; I don't buy packs very often, so it's a perfect opportunity to break a few. What I got was a Heritage blaster and an Archives jumbo pack. I can live with that.



Even better, my daughter asked to open some of the packs with me. I believe it was the first time she has opened any. Now, I'm not about to believe that she has been converted and is about to start asking me to feed her habit- but it was a fun thing to do with the apple of my eye. It's been years since I've done this with one of my children, but it feels like the first time.

So, what did this haul net me? Well, let's take a look, shall we?


Duda- just another homer against the Braves. He loves hitting against them.

Kinsler- I just love the photo on this card. I wish they included more of its kind.





My daughter was pretty excited about me getting a Brave. Too bad he's out for the year.




Do you have a player who seems to always find their way into your pack? Well, for me it's Manny Machado (and Buster Posey, who was absent this day). The Lester, Sanchez and Bruce are the High Number SPs.

All cards are up for trade (and I'll try to post a list of Heritage cards-for those putting the set together). The daughter pictured above isn't.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter had only a passing interest in card collecting and most of it was WebKinz or Twilight. Now she's beyond cards, but buys me some periodically (sadly, not this Father's Day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Now, the reason Machado seems to be in every pack you open is because Machado *literally* is in every pack these days.

    I still want a thrown-bat relic to come out, though.

    ReplyDelete